Foundation awards 38 scholarships totaling $100K
Published 5:30 pm Tuesday, May 30, 2023
The BayPort Foundation recently awarded $100,000 in 11 different scholarship types to a total of 38 member students in the surrounding local communities attending a college, university, trade or vocational school.
Since 1961, BayPort Credit Union has supported member students in funding their educational pursuits. And over that time, it has awarded more than $1 million in scholarships. Today, the credit union’s philanthropic arm, the BayPort Foundation, continues its mission to enrich members’ lives by providing financial support to promote education. Application evaluation criteria is comprised of GPA, academic achievements, financial need, school and community involvement and a written essay.
Earlier this year, BayPort introduced the Rowe Family Scholarship—the newest donation to the BayPort Foundation Legacy Giving Program. It is in addition to the Donald I. Steppe Memorial and the McGee Family Scholarship. All three scholarships are family gifts to honor those who share BayPort’s commitment and philanthropic efforts.
Email newsletter signup
BayPort is partnering with WAVY and WVBT to honor its 2023 scholarship recipients as part of the BayPort Foundation Scholarship Salute recognition program. The scholarship salute airs daily between June 26 and July 23. For more information and to view the entire voluntary series, please visit BayPort’s YouTube channel.
The BayPort Foundation 2023 scholarship recipients are:
- Beard-Bennett Memorial Scholarship — Lily Backus, Nansemond River High School
- Student-Run Credit Union Member Scholarship — Kanye Hayer, Kings Fork High School
- Student-Run Credit Union Teller Scholarship — Noah Harris, Smithfield High School; Elijah Kennedy, Kecoughtan High School; Benjamin Ray, Smithfield High School; Saiveon Frazier, Heritage High School; Johnathan Mummert, Peninsula Catholic High School; and Emily Ruck, Kecoughtan High School
- Directors Scholarship — Sarai Brown, Alfred State College; Wendy Bright, Old Dominion University; Daphne Franklin, University of South Carolina; Jonathan He, Johns Hopkins University; Raheem Strong, Virginia Commonwealth University; Amy Watson, Riverside College of Health Careers; and Nile Phillips, Harvey Mudd College
- Burton P. Hill Scholarship — Allison Fales, Virginia Tech
- Donald I. Steppe Memorial Scholarship — Abrielle Tutone, Longwood University
- McGee Family Scholarship — Tia Semple, Virginia Peninsula Community College
- Rowe Family Scholarship — Luke Cargill, Dartmouth College
- Tuition Booster Scholarship — Angela Claud, Functional Medicine University; Tiffanie Smith, Old Dominion University; Monica Anderson, Old Dominion University; Jenae Tynes, Liberty University; Quinon McWilliams, Old Dominion University; and Jeremy Condron, Virginia Peninsula Community College
- Wiatt Memorial Apprentice School Scholarship — Dalton Durant, Old Dominion University and Rosa Rainey of Suffolk, Norfolk State University