18 evacuated Sunday when contractors hit gas line on Pine Street

Published 6:40 am Monday, June 12, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Eighteen people who reside in the 200 block of Pine Street in downtown Suffolk were evacuated due to a gas leak Sunday, June 11.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue was dispatched to the scene by emergency communications at 11:56 a.m. to find a natural gas service line between two houses that had been struck by contractors, actively releasing natural gas. Battalion 1 arrived at 11:57 a.m. 

Virginia Natural Gas was contacted. While VNG was responding to secure the leak, Suffolk Fire and Rescue and Suffolk Police units evacuated two residential structures, displacing the 18 occupants.  

Email newsletter signup

The leak was repaired by VNG at 1:07 p.m. and all occupants were allowed to return to their homes.

No injuries were reported to any occupants or firefighters. 

Eleven Suffolk Fire and Rescue units, Suffolk Police and Virginia Natural Gas responded to the call.