Blown HVAC motor causes Northern Shores Elementary evacuation

Published 3:13 pm Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

According to Suffolk Public Schools, Northern Shores Elementary School students and staff were evacuated due to the smell of smoke and haze in one hallway and one of the classrooms inside the school.

When Suffolk Fire and Rescue arrived,  it was determined that the source of the smell was a blown HVAC motor. Fire Marshalls cleared the building, and students and staff were allowed to re-enter the building. No injuries were reported.

A spokesperson from the city said the HVAC issue is being addressed and should not be a threat to the occupants.

Email newsletter signup