Crab House claws back to win at Pro-Am, 103-93

Published 12:00 am Saturday, July 6, 2002

Eddie’s Crab House of Norfolk came back from a 15-point deficit to defeat Fox 33 103-93 in the opening game of the Hampton Roads Pro-Am at King’s Fork Recreation Center Saturday. After Fox scored four consecutive points to grab an 81-66 lead with just over eight minutes to play, Eddie’s went on a scoring binge to outscore their opponents 37-12 in the remainder of the game.

After a two-sided rapid-fire style of scoring didn’t allow either team to get more than a five-point lead throughout the first half, Herb Lewis sank four consecutive free throws to give Fox a 49-41 lead with eight minutes to play in the third quarter. Fox then used their skills from behind the three-point arc (they’d hit only two from there in the entire first half), sinking four long shots to take a 65-50 advantage. The game went back to machine-gun scoring for the next few minutes, but a jumper by David Bryant and two three-pointers from Maurice Riddick put Fox ahead 77-66 at the end of the third quarter. Demorris Knight and Bryant scored for Fox in the beginning of the fourth, but Eddie’s took charge from then on.

Terry Thomas got things rolling with a pair of free throws, and Old Dominion University cager Mark Poag scored six straight points to cut the lead to 81-74 with 7:23 to go. Braynt snuck through the Eddie’s defense for a layup, but Aaron Moore swished a three-pointer from the corner and Raymond Perry hit a jumper, kicking off a 24-8 run that lasted for the rest of the game.

Email newsletter signup

With his team behind 85-79 at the five-minute mark, Perry hit another jumper, and Darryl Torio swooped through the paint for a layup to knock Fox’s lead down to two. Thomas completed a three-point play, and Eddie’s had the lead for the first time since the 6:01 mark of the second quarter.

Maze Toomer put Fox back on top with a layup, but Torio sank a three-pointer and Poag a jumper to go ahead 91-87 with two minutes to play. Riddick hit a three-pointer to get his team as close as 93-90, but Perry and Moore hit eight free throws in the last 1:13, and Eddie’s had moved on.

&uot;We weren’t boxing out and rebounding in the first half, so we knew we had to play better as a team,&uot; said Perry, a resident of St. Petersburg, Flo. &uot;I’m glad I got the ball at the end of the game, because I consider myself a clutch player.&uot;

Men’s games will begin today at 1 p.m., with women’s competition started at 5 p.m.