Candle ignites fire in residence

Published 12:00 am Thursday, October 17, 2002

Staff report

A fire on Tuesday night at 210-1/2 Bosley Avenue forced three people into the rain, and paramedics treated two of them for smoke inhalation, according to a notice from Captain James T. Judkins, public information officer for the city’s Department of Fire and Rescue.

At 8:42 p.m., fire units arrived reported smoke from a second-floor window.

Email newsletter signup

Firefighters used hoses to contain the flames to the room or origin, remaining on the scene until 10:08 p.m.

According to a report filed by Acting Battalion Chief Barney Howard, a candle on a nightstand fell onto a bed, which set the bed and nearby curtains on fire.

Soon, the rest of the upstairs was engulfed in flames, causing damages of $15 thousand.

This is the second Suffolk fire caused by a candle in five days. Last Friday, a similar fire heavily damaged a 6,000 square foot home in the city’s Historical District.

The local fire department provided the following tips for candle safety:

Make sure they are in stable holders or surfaces and away from combustible materials

Make sure they can not be easily knocked over

Never leave them unattended