Woman injured while burning trash

Published 12:00 am Friday, December 20, 2002

A Suffolk woman is resting at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital Friday after sustaining burns over 30 percent of her body.

According to Captain Jim Judkins of the Suffolk Fire Department, the victim, Ruth Vann, 62, of the 4500 block of Carolina Road was trying to start a fire in a trash barrel when she was severely burned.

Judkins said fire investigators determined that the victim was using gasoline to start the fire around noon Wednesday, and that when she added the fuel to the barrel it flashed up, burning her head, face, chest, arms, and hands.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

&uot;Our Fire Prevention Bureau points out that this was a very unfortunate incident and while they wish Mrs. Vann a speedy recovery, they want the public to know that dangers involved in using a flammable liquid of any type to start fires,&uot; said Judkins. &uot;In addition, they also remind everyone that a burn permit is required for all open air burning in Suffolk.&uot;