Work on hotel gets OK

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 22, 2003

The Historic Landmarks Commission on Tuesday gave developers the green light to move ahead with the Hilton Garden Inn planned for Constant’s Wharf.

Revised plans for the $22-million project, which stalled earlier this month after HLC members expressed concern that the building might not fit in with others in the downtown historic district, was unanimously approved, said Assistant City Manager R. Steven Herbert.

Over the past two weeks, architects have made minor changes to the hotel’s faade and changed the roofline over part of the building, Herbert said.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

The building’s exterior was the only area remaining to be approved by the HLC. The commission gave conditional approval to the remainder of the plan presented during its Jan. 9 meeting.

Construction bids are expected to come in over the next four weeks, Herbert said. He anticipates a groundbreaking in early March.