Fire ignites in one house, spreads to another

Published 12:00 am Friday, February 7, 2003

Staff report

The Suffolk Fire Department spent about three hours early Thursday morning battling fires at two neighboring houses in Pughsville.

Firefighters were called around 1:15 a.m. to 6202 Freeman Ave. after a fire started near a small portable electric heater in the living room of the house, said Capt. James T. Judkins, spokesman for the Suffolk Fire Department. The fire spread rapidly and ignited another house standing 10 feet away, 6200 Freeman Ave.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

No one was injured in the blaze, Judkins said.

Damage to the houses was estimated at $15,000 and $30,000, for 6200 and 6202 Freeman Ave., respectively.

Later yesterday, around 1:15 p.m., firefighters were called to the vacant east Suffolk High School, 134 S. Sixth St.

Three of four juveniles discovered at the fire have confessed to igniting a pile of clothing in the gym with a lighter, Judkins said.

Thus far, no formal actions or complaints have been taken against the children.