Warriors, Cavaliers move up

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Both Suffolk boys’ basketball teams came out on top in the first round of the Southeastern District tournament on Tuesday evening.

Nansemond River roared past Great Bridge 81-62, while Lakeland scored four points in the last 71 seconds to defeat Deep Creek, 41-36, avenging the defeat that the Lady Hornets gave the Lakeland girls on Monday evening. The teams will play

Thursday at Oscar Smith, as Lakeland takes on Western Branch (who defeated defending tournament champion Indian River) and River battles the host Tigers.


Email newsletter signup

After Great Bridge cut a 20-point deficit to eight in the first half of Tuesday’s game, River charged away in the second half, led by Marquie Cook’s 26 points. Their cross-town rivals, however, had a much tougher time of things.

After a Marcus Artis jumper gave Lakeland a 35-25 lead with 5:20 to play, Ryan White hit a jumper and Rasi Dowling a pair of free throws to get within six. White found a way through the Cavalier defense for another bucket, and Durelle Leak banked home a layup, knocking the lead down to 35-33 with just under three minutes to play.

With both teams already in the penalty, Mark Plenty was fouled, and hit both free throws. Jamaal Jackson got inside for a layup for the Hornets with 1:53 left.

Lakeland stalled until Chase Nelson was fouled on the baseline. Nelson missed both free throws, and Deep Creek grabbed the rebound. Justin Holland attempted to drive the baseline, but was fouled with 1:11 left, sinking one free throw to cut the lead to 37-36.

Plenty charged to the left side of the paint, but his shot bounced off the glass and went to the right. Kenneth Reid was there to grab the rebound, and he tossed in a one-handed layup.

White tossed up a three-pointer from the right side, but it missed and Artis snared the rebound. He passed to Plenty at midcourt. Plenty was fouled with 33 seconds to go, and against swished both free throws to go up, 41-36.

White again headed toward the right side. Rather than shooting another long shot, he attempted to drive the basket, and Tyrone Parker stole the ball in the paint and passed to Reid.

Reid missed a layup, but Reginald Evans yanked down the rebound and was fouled with the clock reading :16. He sank one free throw, and the Hornets were unable to score in the remaining time.