Firefighters kept busy Saturday morning, afternoon

Published 12:00 am Sunday, January 18, 2004

Staff report

Suffolk firefighters responded to two calls Saturday, but no body was hurt in either. The first was an early morning blaze that swept through a northern Suffolk home, and the second took place mid-afternoon at a business on Kenyon Road. Firefighters from the Driver Fire Department went to the first, which was caused by an unattended candle left burning in a bedroom, at 2705 S. Nansemond Drive, around 1 a.m. , said Capt. Jim Judkins, spokesman for the Suffolk Fire Department. The flames were under control by 1:20 a.m. The occupants were awakened by smoke detectors, he said. The fire caused an estimated $77,000 in damage to the house and its contents, he added.

Firefighters got the call at 3:55 p.m. and rushed to T.C.S. Concrete Products at 999 Kenyon Road; they had the flames out at 4:30 p.m., said Judkins, adding that the investigation so far indicates that a defective flu was the cause.

Email newsletter signup

Although there are no estimates so far, the damage appears to be minimal, with the burning confined to the pump house back wall and roof area around chimney. The property owned by Tidewater Block.