Grease fire burns Chuckatuck homeowner

Published 12:00 am Sunday, May 16, 2004

Suffolk News-Herald

A Chuckatuck man suffered burns to his right arm, leg and foot after a pan of grease caught fire Thursday evening.

Shannon Cox, age unknown, told Battalion Chief William T. Nichols that he had been cooking when the fire started. He used his kitchen’s fire extinguisher to put out the flames just before units from Station 9 in Chuckatuck arrived at the Pembroke Lane home. The homeowner’s wife, Dorothy Cox, was not injured.

Email newsletter signup

The house is valued at $200,000 and sustained $15,000 in damages. The $100,000 in contents sustained $1,500 in damages. The owners were insured.

Nansemond-Suffolk Volunteer Rescue Squad also responded.