Catches on both sides of the ball seal 17-7 Warrior win

Published 12:00 am Sunday, September 12, 2004

Suffolk News-Herald

Four interceptions, a blocked punt, and a 62-yard touchdown catch by Jhmar Lee all combined for a 17-7 Nansemond River victory over Wilson on Friday at Arrowhead Stadium.

The scoring began quickly for the Warriors. On the second play of Wilson’s second offensive possession, at the Wilson 40, Lee picked off a pass in the flat and weaved his way down the left sideline down to the 12.

Email newsletter signup

From there, Terry Bullock connected with Tyrone Williams for the touchdown.

Following the extra point, Nansemond River led 7-0 with exactly six minutes left in the first quarter.

On the Presidents’ first possession of the second quarter, a string of successful ground gains culminated in a 35-yard touchdown run by Morris Rivera.

Wilson gained 91 yards on the drive.

At 9:04 in the second quarter the score was tied, 7-7.

Both teams traded possessions until late in the second quarter when the Warrior defense stepped up again.

With just under three minutes left in the half, Wilson was forced into a third-and-11 on their own 16 following a sack by Deon Powell.

The Presidents were unable to convert on the third and long and on the fourth down punt attempt, Deon Powell deflected the ball and it ended up dead at the Wilson with 2:01 left in the half.

The Warrior offense moved the ball down to the Presidents’ seven and with five seconds left, Cory Wells converted a 25-yard field goal to give the Warriors a 10-7 lead at halftime.

The first Wilson possession of the second half came after an unsuccessful fake punt attempt, which gave Wilson good starting field position at the River 44.

The Warrior defense again came up big forcing a fourth-and-four at the 38.

On the fourth down play, Zeth Thompson stopped Dionte Artis at the line of scrimmage, returning the ball to the Warriors.

Three plays into the possession, Terry Bullock completed a 62-yard pass to Lee who shed the defender and easily took it the final few steps into the endzone.

The completion was the longest Nansemond River gain of the night and put the Warriors up 17-7 with 7:22 left in the third quarter.

The Warrior defense sealed the game with three more interceptions. Powell picked off one pass and Darryl Freeney two, the last one coming with 3:43 left.

Bullock was the leading rusher on the night for the Warriors with 71 yards on 16 carries; he also was 3-for-5 passing for 90 yards and two touchdowns.

Nansemond River (1-1, 0-0) visits Lakeland in both team’s Southeastern District opener next Friday night.