Smoke alarm saves home

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, March 8, 2005

A working smoke alarm is credited with alerting Suffolk residents of a grease fire, which was extinguished before firefighters arrived Sunday.

A pan of cooking oil left unattended at the home, located at 201 Cameron Crossing, is considered the cause of the fire, said Capt. James Judkins, Suffolk Fire Department spokesman.

The residents were upstairs at the time of the blaze, but the smoke alarm allowed the family to quickly spring into action.

Email newsletter signup

No injuries were reported.

Suffolk fire and rescue recorded the call at 11:48 a.m. When they arrived, they found light smoke visible from the garage of the two-story home. Damage to the kitchen and remaining &uot;hot spots&uot; were detected. The heat from the fire also melted window blinds in adjacent rooms, while other rooms suffered smoke damage.

According to the owner, Robert King, he and his wife were heating a pan of cooking oil for fries and left the room. Upon hearing the smoke alarm, they came down stairs to find the stove ablaze.

The damage was listed at $10,000.