Portsmouth police chief nabs Suffolk robbery suspect

Published 12:00 am Thursday, May 19, 2005

The quick work of Portsmouth Police Chief Frank Kitzerow resulted in the arrest of two suspects Tuesday, one of whom was wanted in connection with an armed robbery earlier in the day in Suffolk.

After a pursuit aided by citizens, Portsmouth police arrested Rodney Lavelle Williams, 30, of the 1400 block of Tides Lane in Hampton. He was charged with one count each of felony attempt to elude, possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest.

Suffolk Police charged Williams with one count of armed robbery.


Email newsletter signup

Antonio Lamont Holland, Jr., 19, of the 1400 block of Carson Crescent in Portsmouth, a passenger, was also charged with one count each of possession of cocaine and resisting arrest.

At approximately 6:25 p.m., Kitzerow observed William’s vehicle traveling at excessive speed, tailgating and making erratic lane changes on London Boulevard. Kitzerow initiated his emergency equipment and attempted a traffic stop on the London Boulevard overpass.

The vehicle refused to stop, made a U-turn, and headed back towards downtown.

The car then stopped in the 2000 block of Holladay Street and three occupants fled on foot.

Following a short foot pursuit, Kitzerow apprehended the first suspect in the 1900 block of Holladay Street.

Another Portsmouth officer arrested the second suspect in the 1900 block of North Street. While observing the ongoing pursuit, Shea Terrace citizens directed responding SIU, CSU and patrol officers to the third suspect who was found in the 200 block of Sandpiper Drive.

Police later learned during the on-scene investigation that the occupants and the vehicle were linked to an armed robbery that occurred at approximately 3:45 p.m. in the 600 block of Carolina Road in Suffolk.

A black male suspect allegedly produced a handgun and demanded money from a victim.

After receiving an undetermined amount of cash and jewelry, the suspect fled the scene in a blue four-door vehicle traveling north on Carolina Road and into Portsmouth.

Following the arrival of Suffolk police officers, the three suspects were questioned and one of the passengers was released.