City shuts down Suffolk Inn Motel
Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 28, 2005
The city shut
the doors of the Suffolk Inn Motel late Wednesday, citing numerous code violations.
Inspectors from city’s Department of Neighborhood Development Services, the Suffolk Health Department and Suffolk Fire Department found numerous violations at the motel in the 600 block of North Main Street, said Dennis Craff, the city’s communications director.
Email newsletter signup
&uot;People can’t stay in there now because of life-threatening safety issues,&uot; Craff said.
Although a detailed list of violations was not available Wednesday, the hotel’s lack of fire extinguishers and inoperable fire alarms were among the citations, he said.
Craff did not know exactly how many people were being forced to seek shelter elsewhere.
The city began inspections at the motel after Suffolk police arrested a man last weekend for allegedly selling crack cocaine from his third floor room. Police called NDS about the poor condition of the room, which was covered with debris and mold and had a dog tied to a chair.