July 30, 1942: Lead stories in the News-Herald 63 years ago…

Published 12:00 am Saturday, July 30, 2005

Suffolk resists new tax bill

&uot;The city of Suffolk is making every effort to defeat any federal tax bill that would not exempt state and municipal bonds from federal taxation,&uot; mayor B.O. Hill said in a statement issued today. Hill and city manager J.C. Causey in statements declared that the city would resist attempts to pass legislation which would levy on municipal and state bonds. Causey said that &uot;the city is opposing the proposal made by the secretary of the treasury that a federal tax be placed on existing state and municipal securities.&uot;

Summer school ends

Email newsletter signup

Tomorrow, school’s out – summer school. W.T. Harry, principal of Suffolk high School, said that 70 percent of nearly 120 summer school students will complete their work. The remaining 30 percent were repeating subjects in which they failed during the school year. Elementary summer school ended two weeks ago. With summer school closing, teachers will go on a month’s vacation before the fall session.

Young Peoples League creates War Bond

The Young Peoples League met Tuesday night at the home of Tom Battle. The building fund was converted into a $200 War Bond. Plans were discussed for the entertainment of the Suffolk-Nansemond sub-district meeting in August at Providence Church.

Wagner celebrates eighth birthday

Virginia Mae Wagner celebrated her eighth birthday Tuesday afternoon at a party given by her mother, Mrs. Eugene Wagner, at the home of her grandmother, Mrs. E.E. Wagner, on North Main Street. Pinning the tail on the donkey was the main event of the party, followed by many games outside. Marie Johnson won the prize in the donkey competition. Ice cream and cake were served to each guest and each guest was given a party favor.

Suffolk roars past

Franklin in softball

A Suffolk A.C. team with a new spirit and new pep last night trimmed the Franklin nine, 4-2, behind Suffolk’s new manager, Hunky Archer. The home-towners collected 10 hits to Franklin’s five and fielder two new players, Ed Holland of Holland at second base, Earl Taylor, who played centerfield and Robbie Robinson of Nansemond County, who played right field.

One game tonight

Only one softball tilt is on tonight’s card because of the donkey ball game at Peanut Park. That game will bring Ed Oliver’s boys and the Blair Busmen into the same ring for a regular-season battle. Last night, Oliver’s Vepcos defeated the Jaycees, while Blair dropped a 15-1 decision to Ritz Caf\u00E9. The softball game will begin at 7:30 p.m. and the donkey ball game at 8:30 p.m.

– Compiled by Jason Norman