Windsor finally out-Dukes Saints

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 3, 2005

Windsor beat Nansemond-Suffolk Academy for the first time in 10 attempts in the season opener for both schools on Friday night in Windsor, 26-15.

Winning the toss and electing to receive, the Dukes steadily moved the ball on the ground right from the start of the evening. The first Windsor drive lasted 9:42 and 15 plays, and even though the Dukes were finally held by the NSA defense inside the 10, the long march signaled future big things for the Dukes.

The Saints, playing without expected starting quarterback Andy Owens, who was sidelined with an injured rotator cuff, were unable to move the ball on any other their first three possessions.

Email newsletter signup

In the meantime, the Dukes offense remained in high gear, entirely on the ground. Three second quarter touchdowns, on runs of one, 64, and two yards, put the Dukes ahead 20-0 by halftime, and the huge ovation from the home crowd as their Dukes left the field gave them even more momentum. Windsor collected 11 first half first downs to NSA’s one.

Coming out after the break, the Saints marched the ball down to the Windsor 10, but no closer before turning the ball over on downs.

After holding Windsor for the first time since their first possession, NSA’s offense kept moving the ball. This time, a 12-yard pass play from Jack Wright to Kyle Jett and a 33-yard touchdown run on the next play by Tyler Van Selow put the Saints on the board with 4:47 to play in the third.

Windsor’s rushing game emerged again on the Dukes’ next drive. Moving the ball 52 yards, some on the ground, and some via NSA penalties, Windsor punched in their fourth touchdown of the night, going up 26-7 on the first play of the fourth quarter.

The Saints gave their best effort to make the fourth quarter interesting.

On third-and-21 from the Duke 47, Wright hit Kelvin Demps all alone down the left numbers, and Demps went untouched into the endzone with 8:04 still to go. When Wright completed a 2-point pass to Adam Gillette, the Saints closed to 26-15.

Forcing a Windsor punt, NSA regained possession, after a punt return by Jett, at the Dukes 45 with 6:18 on the clock. The last NSA chance would vaporize, however as an NSA penalty, followed by back-to-back Windsor sacks, ended what would be the last Saints’ possession of the night.

Next Friday, the Saints (0-1) travel to Trinity Episcopal School for a 4 p.m. kickoff.