A tough Fall Ball day for Suffolk

Published 12:00 am Sunday, October 9, 2005

Suffolk schools went 0-for-3 Saturday morning in the Nansemond River Fall Ball league; Nansemond River came up just short against Norcom, 51-47, a struggling first half doomed Lakeland to a 54-31 loss to Tallwood, and King’s Fork lost to Wilson, 42-30.

Nansemond River and Norcom tipped off the action, and River got out of bed just a bit sooner than the Greyhounds as six Andre Jones points spurred the Warriors out to a 9-0 lead in the first 5:36.

River kept building the lead, as back-to-back Vaughn Wilson buckets made the score 18-6 with about eight minutes before the half; Wilson went on to score nine points in the first half, and River led 23-16 at the half.

Email newsletter signup

From 2-for-10 foul shooting and no three-pointers in the first half, Norcom’s second half featured six threes and 7-for-8 foul shooting, as the Greyhounds flipped River’s halftime lead.

A 13-0 Norcom run straight out of the half was stopped by a Wilson three and a couple Nick Wright free throws regained a tie at 29 with about 13 minutes remaining.

The Warriors gained a brief lead a couple minutes later on a Mark Brown jumper, but another Norcom rally gave them the lead for good going down the stretch.

After already draining two threes in the final minute, Wilson had a third long three-point try rattle in and out with seven seconds left that, had it stayed down, would given River a one point lead.

Wilson led the Warriors with 20 points; Andre Jones added 13 points and Wright led River in rebounding with nine.

Lakeland fell behind 21-2 in the first 12 minutes of their match-up with Tallwood and still trailed 33-10 at the half.

The Cavaliers were more composed and competitive after halftime, as the second half was even, but the hole was already too deep as Tallwood maintained at least a 15-point lead throughout the second half.

Tallwood and Nansemond River, each with one loss in the Fall Ball standings, face off at 7:30 Wednesday night.

In the King’s Fork/Wilson game, Wilson put the Bulldogs down 12-2 early in the first half and never trailed.

Fork climbed back into the game on a couple occasions, but could not fully close the gap.

In closing minutes of the first half, Loren Roberts knocked down a couple jumpers, and Kendall Jones made a couple foul shots right before the horn; making the score 20-17 Wilson at the half.

The Presidents opened up a healthy lead again in the first five minutes of the second half.

Rakesh Harris’s three-point play to finish off a fast break cut Wilson’s advantage to 32-26 with 5:30 left, but the Bulldogs would get no closer.

Harris finished as Fork’s leading scorer with nine points and Farris had eight points.