Teen charged with murder
Allison T. Williams
A teenager, accused of shooting and killing a Lakeland High School student late last year, pleaded not guilty during his arraignment in Suffolk Circuit Court Wednesday.
At the same time, in a neighboring courtroom, a grand jury indicted Steven Daniel Diaz, 15, for allegedly slaying 17-year-old Dwayne Langston. Diaz was charged with first-degree murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, discharging a firearm in an occupied building and possession of a firearm by a minor.
Diaz, who was 14 at the time of the incident, allegedly rode a bicycle up to Langston’s South Main Street home and fired multiple shots, according to police reports. Langston, who was struck by two bullets, died in Sentara Norfolk General Hospital the following day.
Diaz, who has been held in Tidewater Detention Home since his arrest, will be tried as an adult. An Aug. 21 trial date was set.
Family members in the courtroom Wednesday declined to comment.
Other indictments Wednesday
n Dameon Tarell Parrish, on two counts each of attempted murder and attempted malicious wounding; four counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony; and one count each of malicious shooting at an occupied vehicle and possession of a firearm by a minor.
– Stephanie Rena Wellons, two counts of attempted aggravated malicious wounding and one count of malicious wounding.
– Paul Lamont Delk, eluding a police officer and assault and battery of a police officer.
– Angela Pauline Flynn, attempted malicious wounding.
– Wayne A. Haynes, attempted malicious wounding.
– Quantez Lamont Johnson, robbery and shooting, stabbing or wounding.
– Quavonne Dontra Johnson, robbery and aggravated malicious wounding.