High-speed chase ends with N.C. pair in jail here

Published 12:00 am Thursday, August 3, 2006

Two men are in Western Tidewater Regional Jail after leading three law enforcement agencies on a high-speed car chase in two states early Thursday.

Justin Fox, 19, of Chowan County, N.C., and Ryan Bass, 20, of Gates County, N.C., were taken into custody by Suffolk police officers around 3:05 a.m. Thursday on U.S. Route 58, near the Suffolk and Southampton County line, according to police reports.

The pursuit started in Gates County, where the pair were accused of


Email newsletter signup

breaking into a house in the Hobbsville community Wednesday afternoon, said Gates County Sheriff Edward Webb.

Eight guns were among the items that the two men, and two juvenile girls with them at that time, allegedly stole from the house, he said. The girls were not in the car during the chase.

One of his deputies spotted the men, in a stolen Toyota Camry in Gates County’s White Oak community, around 12:30 a.m. Thursday and attempted to stop the car, Webb said. The pair fled in the vehicle, at times reaching speeds of more than 90 miles an hour, and drove into Virginia on U.S. 13 North.

That’s where the Suffolk Police Department got involved in the chase, Webb said.

Fox, who was driving the car, led officers from both departments down Whaleyville Boulevard, then onto U.S. Route 58 West via the Southwest Suffolk Bypass.

The Virginia State Police got involved near the Suffolk and Southampton County line by putting out “stingers,” a spiked tool used by law enforcement to deflate tires on fleeing vehicles, Carr said.

Suffolk police were able to apprehend the two suspects after they drove over the stingers, Webb said. Six of the eight missing firearms were recovered in their vehicle.

Authorities in Suffolk have charged Fox with eluding police and fugitive from justice and Bass with fugitive from justice, said a police spokeswoman.

Upon extradition back to North Carolina, each man will be facing more than 15 charges related to the incident, Webb said. Deputies were still in the process of securing warrants on Thursday night.