RMA edges NEA

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 7, 2006

LASKER- Fumbles plagued Northeast Academy last night as they turned the ball over four times while falling to Rocky Mount Academy, 26-12.

Northeast Academy started strong, driving to the Rocky Mount 15-yard line before turning the ball over on downs.

After holding Rocky Mount to three-and-out Northeast took over at their own 47 but couldn’t get the first down.

Email newsletter signup

Chris Futrell’s punt was blocked and picked up by Harrison Mitchell.

Mitchell ran the ball back for the score.

The conversion run failed leaving Rocky Mount with a 6-0 advantage.

Northeast wasted no time answering.

After a 15-yard kickoff return from Brandon Futrell, Brodie Harrell raced up the left side for a 65-yard touchdown run.

A failed conversion left the score tied at six-all.

Three plays later Rocky Mount quarterback Creighton Hayworth broke past the Northeast defense, rushing 56 yards to the endzone. Brandon

Robertson’s run was good, giving Rocky Mount a 14-6 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Both teams went scoreless in the second but turnovers continued to plague Northeast.

The Eagles fumbled a Rocky Mount punt, setting up the visitors on Northeast’s 24-yard line.

Northeast’s defense stepped up, holding Rocky Mount to three-and-out.

Dustin Deloatch came up big for the Northeast defense to start the third quarter, recovering a Rocky Mount fumble at the 42-yard line.

The Eagles were unable to take advantage, fumbling six plays later.

Rocky Mount recovered the fumble but the Eagles defense again kept Rocky Mount from getting a first down.

As the last minute ticked off the clock in the third, Drew Pinnix recovered a Rocky Mount fumble to give the Eagles possession.

Again the Eagles were unable to take advantage and were forced to punt.

Chris Futrell was unable to get the punt off but he held on to the ball and took the tackle as Rocky Mount took possession on Northeast’s 43-yard line.

Three plays later Robertson rushed 18 yards for the score.

The conversion run failed as Rocky Mount took a 20-6 lead with 9:50 remaining in the fourth.

Northeast marched to the end zone with Futrell rushing 48 yards on five carries, including a 30-yard run. Pinnix ran in two yards for the score as Northeast pulled within eight. A failed conversion run left the Eagles trailing, 20-12.

The Eagles defense again held Rocky Mount, giving Northeast another opportunity to find the endzone.

B. Harrell ran for 11 yards.

Pinnix then connected with Harrell for another 15 yards.

Futrell added two runs for 13 yards followed by a 12-yard gain by Pinnix.

On fourth-and-two the Eagles were stopped just short of the first down and Rocky Mount took possession.

Three plays in to the next series Hayworth broke through for a 66-yard run to paydirt.

The conversion failed but Rocky Mount extended their lead, 26-12.

Northeast fumbled the ensuing kickoff, ending any hopes of a victory in front of the homecoming crowd.

B. Harrell led the Eagles with 112 yards on 16 carries.

Futrell added 104 yards on 28 carries.

Deloatch had eight tackles for the Eagles while Zach Mize added four.

Both teams struggled to hold onto the football, with Northeast fumbling seven times, recovering three.

Rocky Mount turned the ball over twice, recovering two fumbles.

Scoring by Quarters

NEA 6-0-0-6

RMA 14-0-0-12

Scoring Summary

RMA – Harrison Mitchell fumble recovery; run failed; 3:32 1st

NEA – Brodie Harrell 65-yard run; run failed; 3:10 1st

RMA – Creighton Hayworth 56-yard run; Brandon Robertson run; 2:12 1st

RMA – Brandon Robertson 18-yard run; run failed; 9:50 4th

NEA – Drew Pinnix 2-yard run; run failed; 7:22 4th

RMA – Creighton Hayworth 66-yard run; run failed; 2:14 4th


NEA-Brodie Harrell 16-112; Brandon Futrell 28-104; Drew Pinnix 15-64; Arch Harrell 2-6

RMA – Creighton Hayworth 13-129; Brandon Robertson 16-85; Tyler Cockrell

6-16; Lee Whitley 1-6


NEA – Drew Pinnix 1-3-1; 15 yards

RMA – Creighton Hayworth 0-2-0