1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 7, 2006

A double shooting on Chestnut Street early Sunday morning left one man dead and sent another into surgery.

Suffolk Police are investigating the shooting, which occurred in the 100 block of Chestnut Street just after 12:30 a.m. At the time, police were notified of a possible fight and two subjects shot in the street.

Winston Carr, 25, of 216 Chestnut St., and Roosevelt Jones III, 28, whose last known address was Holladay Street, were transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Carr died shortly after arrival.


Email newsletter signup

Jones was listed in good condition yesterday afternoon, according to a Sentara spokeswoman.

Carr’s death took from the family a son, brother, uncle and more. His father, Morris Carr Sr., said yesterday his son “wasn’t a troublemaker or anything. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Saturday night was the first time Carr had gone out in a while; he had been staying home lately to study for the GED test, and hoped to get his driver’s license, the elder Carr said. He watched as EMT personnel worked to revive his son inside an ambulance. That image will be forever burned in his mind, he said, before breaking into sobs.

Carr’s sister, Latona, said they fussed and fought like most siblings, but they were close and could talk about a variety of topics, such as politics. He was a devoted uncle who acted as a father figure for Latona’s two young children.

“They loved him so much,” she said.

Latona said her brother was not a fighter. If he couldn’t resolve something with words, he walked away. Most often his only involvement in physical violence was breaking up fights to help his friends.

“If you were his friend, he always had your back.”

Latona wants people to remember her brother as a good person, someone who was giving and loyal.

Chandra Minggia lives just a couple houses down from where Carr lived, but they used to be next-door neighbors, she said. Minggia remembered Carr as a quiet guy who never bothered anyone.

“He was very friendly.”

Minggia said Carr and Jones were friends; though Carr had never been in any trouble, Jones was once, but settled down soon after. Mostly the young men just hung out on the porch or played video games.

Saturday night the two attended a party in a house up the street. Minggia said she was told Jones, or “Five,” as he is known, got into an argument with someone who later came out shooting as Jones and Carr were leaving.

Carr “was just an innocent bystander,” she said.

According to a press release from police, there might have been an altercation in the street just prior to Carr and Jones being shot. Police are looking for a small to mid-size vehicle, white, with a black stripe, that left just prior to police’s arrival at the scene. They do not know whether the subjects in the vehicle were involved in the incident or possibly witnessed the event.

A woman who lives across the street from the house where the party took place said the shots woke her up. She looked outside to see two bodies lying in an ‘L’ shape near each other in the street. Their blood still stains the asphalt.

The woman said drugs are a problem on Chestnut Street, but violence of this type was not normal.

“It’s a little too close to home. Too close,” she said.

Carr’s funeral will be Saturday at noon at St. Timothy’s First Baptist Church, according to his sister.

Anyone with any information on this crime is asked to contact Detective Joyce Williams at 757-514-7944, or call the CrimeLine at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. Callers may be eligible for a reward and do not have to give their name.