1 dead in city#8217;s fourth homicide in 6 weeks

Published 12:00 am Sunday, December 17, 2006

One man is dead and another in police custody following a shooting in downtown Suffolk Friday night.

According to police, the victim, Marcellus Antonio Jenkins, of South Main Street, was found lying in the front yard at 118 N. Lloyd Street just before 11 p.m. that night.

Police say the 39-year-old victim apparently had an altercation with another man who lived at that address and may have involved a woman who also lived there. Witnesses, according to police, said Curtis Rhodes, 31, shot Jenkins and forced his estranged wife to drive him away from the scene.


Email newsletter signup

On Saturday morning, police arrested Rhodes and charged him with first-degree murder, shooting, stabbing or wounding, two counts of abduction and three counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

This is the fourth homicide in the city since early November.

On Nov. 5, two men were shot in the 100 block of Chestnut Street. Winston Carr, 25, who lived on that street, died several hours later in a Norfolk hospital. The second man, Roosevelt Jones, survived his wounds.

William Jones was later arrested and charged in that incident. Just this past week prosecutors elected to upgrade his initial charge of second-degree murder to first-degree.

On Dec. 3, police responding to a report of someone yelling in the 200 block of Grace Street, found Vogentina Stephens, 19, lying dead on the floor. She had been shot. Her uncle, Eddie Walker Jr., 38, had been wounded and was flown to a hospital in Norfolk.

Stephens’ boyfriend, George L. Riddick III was arrested and charged with a number of offenses, including one count of homicide.

The day after Stephens and

Walker were shot, police reported the shooting death of Patrick Nathaniel Johnson in his Truman Road home.

There has been no arrest in that case. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. They may receive a reward up to $1,000.