Two displaced by chimney fire

Published 4:12 pm Sunday, January 10, 2010

Two disabled adults, including one who was bedridden, were displaced Sunday morning by a chimney fire in their home in the 5700 block of Godwin Boulevard.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue and the Chuckatuck Volunteer Fire Department responded just after 8 a.m. Sunday after a neighbor spotted the fire, according to Suffolk spokeswoman Debbie George.

Fire crews were able to confine the fire to the chimney, and no one was injured in the incident, but the wood stove connected to the chimney was the home’s only source of heat, so the residents were relocated.


Email newsletter signup

The Suffolk Chapter of the American Red Cross aided in the relocation.