NRHS edges King’s Fork in overtime

Published 10:05 pm Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Nansemond River High School has been the dominant force in Suffolk in the last couple years when it comes to girls’ soccer. But on Friday night, the Lady Warriors needed overtime before they could dispatch visiting King’s Fork High School, 3-2.

NR head coach Darryl Yandle did not mince words about what he was feeling during the game.

Sophomore Carlee Morse, left, of King's Fork High School challenges host Nansemond River High School during Friday's overtime nail-biter. The Lady Warriors prevailed 3-2. (Caroline LaMagna photo)

Sophomore Carlee Morse, left, of King’s Fork High School challenges host Nansemond River High School during Friday’s overtime nail-biter. The Lady Warriors prevailed 3-2. (Caroline LaMagna photo)

“I was scared to death, but we came out with it,” he said. “They’ve got a couple speedsters, just faster than anything I’ve got.”


Email newsletter signup

Yandle was referring to Lady Bulldogs freshman Cydney Nichols and junior Lindsay Ransome. He said what made the difference in the game was having a plan to stop them.

“The bulk of the work was on Cassidy Feldt,” he said, referring to his senior center defender. “She did a great job.”

Things were going according to plan in the first half as the Lady Warriors went up 2-0. Nansemond River freshman Daijah Norris struck first off an assist from senior Emily Leverone, who scored next on a penalty kick.

But King’s Fork began to turn things around in the second half when freshman Becca Washburn brought her team within one.

“I like the way our girls played,” KF head coach Jason Stump said.

Yandle was pleased his team shut Nichols out in the first half, but said, “She got loose in the second


With less than three minutes to play, Nichols tied up the game, sending it to overtime.

“Nansemond River was clearly frustrated by us,” Stump said.

Stump said that during the extra time, “I think we had a game-winning opportunity,” but Nichols got fouled before she could get a shot off.

There was disagreement over whether or not the foul call against Nansemond River should have been a red card, which would have put the Lady Warriors down one player for the remainder of the game. No card was given, though.

Norris scored the deciding goal in the second part of overtime off an assist from Leverone.

“I’m very satisfied with the skill in which we played against Nansemond,” Stump stated in a text message. “The few things we will adjust will only make us better going forward. We have the benefit of learning from a loss.”

This evening, King’s Fork (3-3, 1-1) visits Oscar Smith High School while Nansemond River (3-3, 2-0) visits Hickory High School.