Barn blaze caused by lightning

Published 9:05 pm Monday, June 15, 2015

Firefighters extinguished a fire at a Chuckatuck-area barn on Sunday evening.

The fire was reported at 6:55 p.m., according to a city press release. Firefighters arriving eight minutes later found a 20-foot square barn fully engulfed in flames.

A home about 15 feet away sustained heat damage, according to the release, but no residents were displaced.

Email newsletter signup

The barn was declared a total loss after the fire was called under control at 7:25 p.m. Nobody was injured in the incident.

The Chuckatuck Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire along with Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a lightning strike, according to the release.