One arrested on methamphetamine charges

Published 12:21 pm Monday, March 7, 2016

Investigators removed buckets and other items from a shed behind an Elwood Road home early Monday morning.

Investigators removed buckets and other items from a shed behind an Elwood Road home early Monday morning.

A Suffolk man is in Western Tidewater Regional Jail on drug-manufacturing charges after state police raided his Elwood Road home Monday searching for a methamphetamine laboratory.

Brian Keith Warren, 44, of the 7200 block of Elwood Road, was charged with possession of methamphetamine, manufacturing methamphetamine, felony possession of a firearm and possession of marijuana, according to Virginia State Police Sgt. Michelle Anaya.

The investigation is ongoing, Anaya stated in a press release.

Email newsletter signup

Warren’s arrest came after members of the Meherrin Task Force — a group of police agencies working together to solve regional crimes — executed search warrants at 4:16 a.m. Monday on two houses on Elwood and Glen Haven roads searching for alleged meth labs, stated Anaya. The two homes are about a mile apart outside Holland.

Elwood Road resident Christy Green, who lives a few doors from Warren, said she is stunned. With a brother who died from drug abuse eight years ago, Green said she is usually alert to suspicious activity.

“I am in total disbelief,” Green said. “There hasn’t been a lot of traffic coming and going from the house at unusual hours or anything like that.”

The neighborhood is usually quiet and neighbors — including Warren — tend to help one another, Green said. Warren regularly trimmed the grass on her ditch bank last summer and, more than once, has rounded up Green’s pigs when they escaped from their pen.

“They are good people,” she said.

Green said she noticed a fire truck and ambulance at the house when she left Monday morning. A little later, she returned to see unmarked police cars and people wearing hazardous material suits removing buckets and other items from the property.

On Monday afternoon, the only sign that police had been on the property was the yellow crime scene tape wrapped outside a two-story, fenced-in shed behind the house.